December can be a hectic month of the year with work deadlines, Christmas parties, whānau (family) arriving to stay or planes to catch/road trips to make. It’s highly likely you haven’t had a chance to plan what you’re going to do on holiday or with visiting guests yet AND you still have Christmas shopping to do. No worries – we can help with these December dilemmas!
5 great cultural heritage experiences in NSW that make great gifts
The Rocks, Sydney – Gadigal Country
1. Take a leisurely 90 minute walkabout with an Aboriginal guide on The Rocks Dreaming Aboriginal Heritage Tour and discover the ancient Aboriginal DreamTime within a modern Sydney landscape. You’ll never look at the city the same way again! The Rocks Dreaming Aboriginal Heritage Tour is run by Dreamtime Southern X and departs 10.30am-12pm daily.
2. Discover fascinating and surprising stories of Māori heritage and history on Poihākena tours: stories of Māori in Sydney. This award-winning 2-hour walking tour is based in The Rocks where Māori have lived, loved, traded, visited, worked and died since 1793. Guided by local Māori you’ll visit the archaeological site where Māori taonga (treasured objects) have been revealed, walk down Māori Lane, experience waiata (song) and hear stories spanning 224 years – visiting Māori chiefs, kidnapping, whalers, sporting greats and more. Tours depart once a month on a Saturday 11am-1pm.
Scotts Head, Mid-North Coast - Gumbaynggirr Country
3. Get close to nature on a 7.5km bush and beach walk in Gaagal Wannggaan National Park with Unkya LALC Cultural Eco-Tours. This 3.5 hour guided tour will introduce you to the serenity, diverse eco-systems and rich cultural heritage of this stunning National Park. Embrace the serene, idyllic Buurrwa (bush) & Gaagal (ocean) surroundings. Gaagal Wannggaan National Park Tours depart once a week on Thursdays.
4. Experience Scotts Head from a Indigenous perspective with guides from Unkya LALC Cultural Eco-tours on a 1.5 hour Gurraga Juun (Whale Tail) tour. Hear creation stories of the Gumbaynggirr People, how the ocean was created and how the first wave was made. Learn about local bush tucker and enjoy stunning views from the headland - a great vantage point for viewing whales, dolphins, rolling waves and stunning sunsets. Tours depart once a week on Saturdays.
Narooma, NSW South Coast – Yuin Country
5. Spend a weekend with traditional owners on Yuin Country and take a walking tour that traces the footsteps of their ancestors on Gulaga Mountain through areas that have held sacred significance for thousands of years. Guided by the family team from Ngaran Ngaran Culture Awareness, the 40-hour Gulaga Creation Tour includes traditional ceremony, story and lore that has been passed through hundreds of generations.
Book a tour
To book a tour for yourself this summer or buy a tour gift voucher for someone special, follow the links above, click here or give us a call us on 02 4456 4848.